Russian Orthodox Church

Official website of the Moscow Patriarchate

Русская версияУкраинская версияМолдавская версияГреческая версияАнглийская версия
Patriarchate

DECR secretary for the far abroad attended reception at Estonian embassy and greeted Estonian president

DECR secretary for the far abroad attended reception at Estonian embassy and greeted Estonian president
Version for print
19 April 2019 year 10:38

On April 18, 2019, Archpriest Sergiy Zvonarev, secretary for the far-abroad section of the Moscow Patriarchate department for external church relations (DECR), with the blessing of DECR chairman Metropolitan Hilarion of Volokolamsk, visited the Embassy of the Republic of Estonia in Moscow.

The event, timed to the opening of the restored historic building of the Estonian embassy, brought together heads and representatives of foreign diplomatic missions, Russian diplomats, and public figures. The President of the Republic of Estonia Ms Kersti Kaljulaid, who had come to Moscow for the occasion, greeted the gathering

The church representative, speaking on behalf of the Supreme Authority of the Russian Church, greeted the head of the Estonian state, pointing to the good relations established with the Estonian embassy and the considerable contribution made to them by the head of the Estonian diplomatic mission in Moscow, H. E. Margus Laidre. 

***

The Estonian embassy in Moscow is Estonia’s first and largest foreign representation to be established Moscow.

Designed by architect Alexy Shcheglov in the style of early modern, the building of the embassy was erected in 1903. Before the 1917 Revolution, it belonged Vladimir Dumnof, owner of the book-selling firm “Heirs of the Salaev Brothers”. It was one of the largest publishing house for books for colleges, lyceums and schools.

The building dilapidated with time. The last restoration works were carried out in it under the Soviet Union, in 1982, when it accommodated the Moscow Representation of the Estonian Soviet Socialist Republic.

In 2016, the decision was made to overhaul and restore the historic part of the building.

DECR Communication Service/Patriarchia.ru

Version: Russian